Welcome to Sunset Golf Club
The original Sunset Golf Club was established in the 1930′s at the corner of Cockrell Hill and Davis. Sunset moved to its current location in 1953. It has been owned and operated by three generations of the Mims family.
The Mims family has a long history of golf. C.B. Mims was the architect and PGA professional until he died in 1992 at the age of 75. He played on the tour in the 1940′s and 50′s, and played in the 1941 U.S. Open and many times in the Dallas Open.
C.B.’s sister, Bettye Mims Danoff, also a touring pro, was one of the eleven founders of the L.P.G.A., which was chartered in 1950. Mrs. Danoff beat “Babe” Zaharis at River Crest Country Club in the Texas Women’s Open. She retired touring in the late 1950′s and now resides in Plano, Texas.
More Grand Prairie Golf Info
- Open to the public from daylight til dark 7 days a week
- Regulation 9 holes, 3350 yards, consisting of 4 sets of tees
- Bermuda grass greens and tees
- Driving Range (all grass hitting area)
- Full practice area with putting green
- Electric golf carts
- Clubhouse, Pro Shop, food, snacks and full Bar
- Lots of trees, bunkers, ponds and wildlife including hawks, beaver and even bobcats!.
- Family owned and operated for over 50 years.
- A friendly, personal atmosphere that will keep you coming back!